How to treat tennis elbow
Tennis elbow is typically difficult to treat. Read about treatment options below.
Treatment options include:
1) Activity Modification - You may need to change some of your activities. This is where MLI Elbow can help you.
2) Rest - One of the best treatments for tennis elbow is rest. Overuse causes tennis elbow, so resting is both an effective and often simple treatment option.
3) Over the Counter Pain Medication - Nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs, or NSAIDS, often available over the counter, are usually effective in treating the pain and inflammation associated with tennis elbow. It is important to talk to your doctor before starting any medication regimen.
4) Changing Equipment – Scientists have found that those using inappropriately sized equipment are often at higher risk for tennis elbow.
5) Physical Therapy and Exercise - Physical therapy is often helpful for orthopedic injuries, including tennis elbow, because they focus on strengthening muscles that work with and support joints and bones.
6) Steroid Injections - your doctor may recommend cortisone injections directly into the affected muscle to reduce acute swelling and pain.
7) On rare occasions, if these options have been attempted over a long period of time and been ineffective, your doctor may recommend surgical treatment options.